Society of the Master Sword
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Society of the Master Sword

A Legend of Zelda centered Minecraft clan

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Signs: the block of tricks and illusions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
zephyriphoenix
Gohma
zephyriphoenix

Signs: the block of tricks and illusions Empty
PostSubject: Signs: the block of tricks and illusions   Signs: the block of tricks and illusions EmptyTue May 17, 2011 7:15 pm

Signs are one of my favorite blocks in minecraft and I have found a myriad of uses for them. In this thread I hope to show people a few of the things I have found. This post will be undergoing quite a bit of revision as I remember tricks with signs and eventually add screenshots demonstrating what I mean.

Signs are an amazing thing because of a few simple properties of theirs.
1. they can be placed on any solid block
2. They stop water and lava and do not burn (perhaps the most important aspect)
3. In accordance with number 1, signs can be placed on signs allowing many visual tricks
4. signs stop arrows that hit them, but not creatures

The easiest and perhaps most useful sign trick makes use of property 4. Signs can be used to make dog doors. By opening a hole in the side of your house and placing a sign it it, you create a 1x1 opening that mobs can pass through, but which arrows can not be shot through, both because of the angle that the skeletons would have to shoot at and because any arrows that hit the sign will stop. any 1x1 mob can enter the hole but as only wolves pigs and chickens are 1x1 or smaller it is safe for normal minecraft. (mo'creatures users beware of wild wolves)

screenshot coming eventually.

The second most useful thing signs can do (and IMO the most AWESOME) is create hall lights (which sounds really boring) look at the screenshot.
Signs: the block of tricks and illusions 20110524222936
If you orient this correctly you can not get burned, even if you walk as close to the lava as possible. (Follows the NSEW rules, though if I understand correctly that is getting fixed in 1.6 making this perfectly safe.)

You can also take this farther and make monuments of floating lava (some people will remember this from the LoH server.
Signs: the block of tricks and illusions 20110524222944
To be extra sign loving, build the entire contraption out of signs Smile
Signs: the block of tricks and illusions 20110524223809

Much more coming once I have the time to write it up and get screenshots (most are visual tricks best explained with screenshots), this is the tip of an iceberg.

Last edited by zephyriphoenix on Tue May 24, 2011 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DarkMemories
Green ChuChu
DarkMemories

PostSubject: Re: Signs: the block of tricks and illusions   Signs: the block of tricks and illusions EmptyTue May 17, 2011 7:33 pm

Plus, you can write things on them xD

Yeah, signs are awesome. I particularly use them in my semi-automatic farm and my door trap, but they have a lot of uses just for their niche in blocking liquid but not everything else (though ladders pseudo-ly do this, they can be stood on and don't look quite so good in a line or as furniture xP).

They're probably my thrid favorite block/item (second being pumpkins/jack-o-lanterns and first being webs).
Back to top Go down
zephyriphoenix
Gohma
zephyriphoenix

PostSubject: Re: Signs: the block of tricks and illusions   Signs: the block of tricks and illusions EmptyTue May 24, 2011 11:40 pm

I updated the op with another trick, I will slowly be adding stuff as I get screenshots.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Signs: the block of tricks and illusions   Signs: the block of tricks and illusions Empty

Back to top Go down

Signs: the block of tricks and illusions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Society of the Master Sword :: Ancient Hyrule :: General Discussion :: Tips and Tricks-
Jump to: